In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Once we were word perfect we were taught what we had to do whilst on the altar.
- The worst of it though, is the attention I get whilst running on the streets of London.
- Being in a rush to get out this evening we sat Tommy at the table whilst we were eating and all had a civilised meal.
- It was exchanged for a very large scar whilst on a skiing holiday in Switzerland.
- I said out loud as I tried to stare a bit more at the map whilst driving at 40 miles an hour.
- We had to queue and order our meal, standing at a counter, whilst scanning the menu.
- I had a bag of fish and chips for lunch and ate them whilst sitting by the river.
- Molly clambers up onto the wall and struts up and down for a moment whilst she gets her balance on the wall.
- It is impossible not to be moved whilst in the presence of such belief and faith.
- I'd forgotten to mention but I had a bit of an accident with Dads car whilst he was away.
- I was sitting in the living room and whilst my friend was in the kitchen her husband made a pass at me.
- In my infinite wisdom I decided to fill the holes in myself whilst Gary was working.
- Walking on the road in broad daylight whilst facing the traffic makes me anxious enough.
- I explained that whilst I would like to, now was not the right time for me, or for her.
- My poor dogs and I are confined to one room whilst the window men continue to fit the new windows.
- Perhaps whilst it is fresh in my mind I might just pick up on the last point of the press briefings.
- Love on a mental level is friendship, whilst love on a physical level is basically lust.
- Even when she is unwell, she is able to just step through that and put it aside whilst she is out there.
- Heroin stays in the system for around a day, whilst cannabis can remain in the body for up to a month.
- Others will rev the engine and light the lights whilst the forming queue shifts on its feet.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.