In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1Geographyvorágine feminineremolino masculine
- The thunder and lightning had abated for the time being, and now the rain was falling in slashing torrents, turning the streets into rivers, grates and drains into gurgling whirlpools and eddies.
- It has an outdoor pool and sun terrace, indoor pool with health and beauty complex, whirlpool, Sauna and solarium.
- Local fishing crews had told him of the Lombok Strait's fiendishly shifting currents, vicious whirlpools, and unexpected waves far from shore.
- Swimming as he never had done before in his life, Winton made it out of the main current and into another whirlpool.
- He gestures to eddying whirlpools and rapids shooting through jagged rocks on both sides of the river, which is so narrow two ships could hardly pass each other.
- After a few minutes of hard rowing, she was directly east of the whirlpool, but only fifty feet away.
- After the Sirens are the drifting rocks which must be avoided by taking a route that goes past Scylla, a six-headed monster, and Charybdis, a whirlpool.
- He miscalculated the tides and the whirlpool dragged the outboard engine off his boat and capsized it.
- The victims died when their raft was swept into a whirlpool during a trip down the Salzach river in 1999.
- The rest of it flow backwards against the natural flow of the river creating a small whirlpool effect.
- Noca jumped out of the boat, which was quickly drawn into the whirlpool.
- Powerful whirlpools have killed seafarers and devoured an occasional small boat - but not Ulysses' 20-oar galley nor modern ships.
- Quickly, a whirlpool began to form at the center of the river.
- She watched the currents rush into whirlpools and swirl and swirl until they bumped into the next whirlpool, finally disappearing hundreds of feet beneath the water.
- Considering the strong currents and whirlpools, the north-east side proved surprisingly silty but the south side was completely different.
- The crew have survived force eight gales and 50 ft-high waves, whirlpools, rip-tides and even a water shortage caused by a lack of sunshine to power solar panels.
- Huge currents flowing past islands and peninsulas generate enormous swirls in their wake, occasionally casting off giant whirlpools.
- We stood on a cliff at the southern tip of Deer Island, staring down at the rips, eddies, and whirlpools tearing through the water below.
2also whirlpool bathpiscina de hidromasaje feminine
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.