In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1torbellino masculine(tour) relámpagoshe came in like a whirlwind — entró como un torbellino / una tromba
- a whirlwind of meetings, parties and interviews — un torbellino / una vorágine de reuniones, fiestas y entrevistas
- it was a whirlwind romance — fue un idilio arrollador
- The couple enjoyed a whirlwind romance after meeting each other in a Los Angeles hotel lobby in February.
- Erianne always set his senses on heightened alarm, even now when she was an emotional whirlwind.
- He would love to take a whirlwind ballpark tour, going to different stadiums all over the country.
- In a brief whirlwind of activity the foundations were laid for the best railway anywhere in the world.
- We just got back from a whirlwind trip to Ohio to attend Joe's brother's wedding.
- Barry's daughter, Sinead, becomes a traffic warden and has a whirlwind romance with a man Barry hates.
- Diane and Derek had a whirlwind courtship of two years and the question of the day was, where exactly did the happy couple meet?
- It was a whirlwind romance little approved of by her family.
- I went to get water and other supplies at a whirlwind trip to the grocery store.
- After a whirlwind week, the new City boss admitted his first match in charge was looming large…
- Theirs had been a real whirlwind romance - six weeks from their first meeting to their marriage.
- Drinnen will savour the routine after a whirlwind two months.
- The whirlwind tour of Walt Disney World began in Disney's MGM Studios.
- He met the wonderful Rosie and, after a whirlwind romance, they married.
- A lovestruck South African and a Rochdale bachelor have married after a whirlwind romance over the internet.
- What should we make of the latest whirlwind of diplomatic activity?
- It was such a idyllic setting, she could imagine herself having a whirlwind romance of sorts in Scotland.
- He's a grinning, bearded, furiously energetic human whirlwind, known to everyone as Poppa.
- Bradford's Lord Mayor is celebrating the city's diversity by embarking on a whirlwind series of cultural diary dates.
- He then bought her a Ferrari and, after a whirlwind five-month romance, he jetted her off to Las Vegas to marry in a secret ceremony.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.