In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1whisky masculinegüisqui masculine
- He took a sip of the whiskey as a waiter placed a tray of appetizers on their table.
- The winner will be decided on Sunday and sent a gallon bottle of Famous Grouse whisky.
- He did not follow a strict diet but cut out beer, whisky and cakes for the 40 days of Lent.
- J&B Rare contains around 40 whiskies including the single malts Knockando and Tamdhu.
- He went to the bar and ordered a whiskey for him and a screwdriver for her.
- When they returned home they took bottles of whisky and vodka back with them and another row ensued.
- Food-wise you can order Thai green curries or braised shank of lamb while the drinks, though pricey, run the gamut from fine cognacs and whiskeys to classic Martinis and shots.
- Staff gave her a choice of gin, vodka or whisky, before she was given two cupfuls to drink immediately.
- Drinks range from fine rums and whiskies to brandy, while art works and coffee table books add to an ambience of exclusive sophistication.
- I found the only thing that numbed the pain was whisky, so I began drinking a bottle a day.
- One night Stephens mixed a vast quantity of sleeping pills with a bottle of whisky.
- She knew when her father came in and she smelled the whiskey that this had to happen tonight.
- Some of this will be directed towards America, which is set to become the largest export market for Irish whiskey in 2004.
- Orkney's Highland Park whisky has come out top in a competition run by Whisky Magazine.
- Vodka, though, continues to be the spirit of the hour, outselling gin and close to whisky.
- The vodka and whisky is flowing and it's just about time to chill out on the sofa with a good film.
- My excessive nerves were rewarded with a hip flask and a half bottle of whisky.
- She found a girl lying on a pile of clothes with a bottle of whisky in her hand.
- They do have some local beers and whisky and a range of soft drinks and juices, however.
- A single blended brand can contain as many as 75 different straight whiskies and neutral spirits.
- We take our water and mix it with malted barley or grain to make a drink called whisky.
- Vintner receipts show he bought dozens of bottles of cognac and a similar amount of whisky.
- Maymond later told officers he had had six cans of lager, a bottle of whisky and had smoked a joint.
- They had spent part of the evening with him at a local man's home where the host had produced a bottle of whisky.
- Over a whiskey in the bar at the Hilton Hotel in Wilmington we chatted about music.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.