In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- The whist starts at 9.15 pm and score cards are £3 for adults and £2 for juveniles.
- In the twentieth century, bridge has displaced whist as the most popular card game internationally among serious card players.
- You can't play tennis on your own, or chess or whist or poker.
- The Narrator compares playing card games such as whist to using analytical powers of the human mind.
- Because Grabowski hated to play cards they were forced into three-handed whist.
- He turned his gaze back to Sarah and her friends who were quietly indulging themselves in a game of whist whilst the party was in full swing around them.
- Top score at Newtown whist on Saturday was won by Michael Ferris, Castlecomer Ladies Margaret Brennan and Mary Warren.
- The weekly whist held on Monday's in the Day Care Centre is always eagerly awaited.
- Chess is bound down by ‘fanciful’ rules that do not test the true powers of an analytical mind, as whist does.
- My preferred game is poker but last night we played contract whist.
- For example, when whist became popular in 18th-century England, players in the Portland Club agreed on a set of house rules for use on its premises.
- I was wondering if you would join us in a game of whist.
- If it had not been for Kennedy, Pamela, and Captain Pellew coming to play whist the last few days, he thought he would surely go insane.
- It is based on whist and unlike many whist games is probably best suited for 3 players.
- After abandoning poker we moved onto knockout whist.
- Players are reminded that whist continues each Sunday evening, commencing at 9 pm.
juego de naipes
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.