In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(in UK)masculine libro blanco
- It was earlier in the year that Deputy Prime Minister John Prescott published a White Paper setting out proposals to allow the nine English regions to hold referendums to decide if elected regional councils should be set up.
- A proposed change in the licensing laws, to be published in a White Paper in April, may address this issue, he said.
- The reform measures are still at the consultative stage, but the University hopes to issue a White Paper laying out its plans later in the year.
- Health Secretary Alan Milburn will announce that a White Paper is to be drawn up setting out proposals intended to end the ‘blame culture’ in the NHS and cut the spiralling legal costs of medical negligence claims.
- In a White Paper currently before Parliament, the office of Deputy Prime Minister John Prescott, is setting out new regulations for local government finance.
- Not long before Monsoon Wedding was released, the government of Prime Minister Tony Blair issued a White Paper, or statement of policy, on immigration and citizenship.
- The Government is considering a radical shake-up of university funding, with its proposals to be published in a White Paper in January.
- The fundamental changes the Labour government is pushing through can be further seen in a White Paper, issued in December 1999.
- The Section 19 provision would be repealed ‘at the earliest opportunity’ and a White Paper on modernising out-of-date working conditions would come in the spring, the Hull East MP told the Commons.
- Unveiling the proposals in a White Paper last November, the then Health Secretary John Reid estimated a ban would cover between 70 and 90 per cent of all pubs.
- The MoD dismissed the report as ‘pure speculation’ but a White Paper on the future of the armed forces is due within weeks.
- Present a Green Paper (for discussion) and then a White Paper (containing policy proposals) to the House of Assembly.
- In 1998, the government released its information strategy for the NHS, entitled Information For Health, to support a White Paper which outlined the vision of a modern and dependable NHS.
- It is understood that the proposals will form part of a White Paper on schools for publication by Education Secretary Ruth Kelly in the autumn.
- The proposals were contained in a White Paper launched yesterday by the Office of National Statistics and apply to England, Wales and Northern Ireland.
- However, it has fallen short of recommending a new runway and has instead issued a consultation document, The Future of Aviation, after which it will publish a White Paper next year.
- Transport Secretary Alistair Darling will present a White Paper outlining how the country can cope with passenger growth over the next 30 years.
- We are already addressing some of the issues raised by Sir John Stevens and will continue the momentum with a White Paper in the spring.
- For the actual policies that Mayor Winter hopes to press ahead with, he will release a White Paper which will detail the proposals.
- ‘Two years ago the Government brought out a White Paper outlining ways in which tobacco issues could be tackled and encouraging local authorities to get involved,’ she said.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.