In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1Businessal por mayorwholesale price — precio al por mayor masculine
- wholesale price index — índice de precios al por mayor
- wholesale trade — comercio al por mayor
2(destruction) sistemático(destruction) total(slaughter) sistemático(condemnation) absoluto(rejection) en bloquewholesale cuts in the budget — recortes radicales / drásticos en el presupuesto
- Indeed, the Gigg Lane men enjoyed the lion's share of play for the first 60 minutes and only let it slip after making wholesale changes for the last half hour.
- From the point of view of making an impact on the reader, however, extensive and sometimes wholesale editing would have helped.
- Second, Irdial's editing may have been sufficient ‘selection and arrangement’ to give rise to a copyright in the whole track, preventing wholesale verbatim copying.
- And most of all, protection is urgently required from the wholesale destruction of every last vestige of Nature in our lives.
- At the time, however, Old Beijing City was seen as a symbol of feudalism and eventually the Liang & Chen Plan was shelved, resulting in the wholesale destruction of hutongs.
- At worst, the outcome could be wholesale slaughter on a scale that makes the current level of daily mayhem look like the peaceable kingdom.
- Pohl recognizes that we cannot address that eclipse by calling for a wholesale, indiscriminate recovery of an ancient and pre-modern practice.
- Like thousands of others in this devastated city, this woman has lost all her wares and livelihood, in one terrifying morning of wholesale destruction.
- The stories of this wholesale destruction from farming folk in Cumbria once again illustrates the affinity between man, animals and land.
- Distraught by such wholesale destructions, Shenoy started salvaging whatever he could.
- That's the frustrating thing, it's how patient I can be without making wholesale changes.
- The beauty of privatization is that new forms of organization can be introduced into public education without making wholesale changes to public education itself.
- English Heritage also warns today against the wholesale destruction of old homes as part of efforts to regenerate the housing market in areas such as South Yorkshire and Hull.
- For some reason, the wholesale destruction of property is considered a tolerable way to traditionally celebrate the New Year in France.
- The problem is that, amongst other things, their designs require technologies and materials that don't exist, in fact wholesale leaps in the bounds of Science.
- Endless images of wholesale destruction and the war machines that brought it about blurred the boundary between reality and fiction, the normal and the horrific.
- And until Government starts properly funding schools, they will always struggle to keep out this tiny minority who can cause such wholesale destruction.
- Rather than institute wholesale radical changes, pilot projects in small geographic areas could determine feasibility of a variety of models.
- Whether that responsibility means wholesale changes remains to be seen, but as long as Butch James stays at fly-half Montgomery will play - if only for his goalkicking ability.
- This iteration builds on what was achieved in its predecessor, without making wholesale changes that could alienate fans of the original.
1Business(sell/buy) al por mayor
2(on a large scale)de modo generalthe same rule cannot be applied wholesale to every case — no se puede aplicar la misma regla a rajatabla a todos los casos
- these practices have been going on wholesale — esto ha estado ocurriendo de manera sistemática
- they rejected the proposals wholesale — rechazaron las propuestas en bloque
1vender al por mayor
1venderse al por mayor
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.