In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(healthy)(climate/food) sano(climate/food) saludable
- It might be medically unsound to be overweight, but somehow it's more wholesome than our current pursuit of physical perfection.
- Buying wholesome, healthy ingredients and cooking them at home is so simple.
- They took the name Bare Earth for their business to reflect their wish to produce good, natural, wholesome foods.
- Tapioca is nutritious and wholesome, and in Kerala is known as the poor man's vegetable.
- And thinking specifically of the terribly wholesome, fairly traded, organic peanut butter we have here?
- They should point out the benefits of a wholesome and balanced diet and the harm from eating too much junk food.
- It seems American icon Martha Stewart might not be as wholesome as her homemade apple pies would suggest.
- It's not really wholesome stuff, but it can be nutritious enough for a cat that can't eat dry kibble.
- What chance do they stand of growing up with a taste for wholesome, nourishing food when their mothers cannot be bothered to feed them correctly?
- Start being sensible about eating wholesome and healthy food and get in shape.
- At first glance, the poster girl for Cachez cosmetics looks as healthy and wholesome as any other.
- It looks as though the food given the detainees at Guantanamo is wholesome, nutritious and appealing.
- The parent can then suggest wholesome alternatives to achieve the same end.
- Choosing organic whole fruit would be a more wholesome option for Rhona.
- Everyone loves the wholesome nutrition of vegetables, but is there really much of that in frozen mixed veggies?
- Also, other than fruits and vegetables, is there another healthy, wholesome snack?
- There is testimony that is it both wholesome and nourishing, as well as economical.
- It's also very easy to buy healthy, wholesome, non-processed foods and go back to eating the way our parents did.
- Another alternative is 100 per cent rye bread, which is relatively wholesome and nutritious.
- The school nurse visited to talk about healthy bodies and the children learnt to cook wholesome foods.
2(morally good)(literature/ideas/advice) sano(image) de persona sana
- There she is, sniffing a rose, or smiling with hair-clipped innocence, like some author of wholesome books for children.
- Nationally, the Liberal Democrats have consistently tried to present a nice wholesome face.
- That sort of Carnival strikes me as innocent and wholesome compared to what's going on in Germany.
- If this makes it all sound a bit Famous Five, all wholesome fun with lashings of ginger beer, then I apologise.
- From this standpoint, rural people and their culture represent a negation of everything that is wholesome and pure about nature.
- Not enough wholesome movies are made today, so it's nice to be reminded that such movies exist.
- An event that packs in fun, frolic and wholesome entertainment is just round the corner.
- The bible talks about thinking about things that are pure and wholesome and good.
- Trouble is, it has all become a bit fruity and earthy, despite the best efforts of the SRU to keep it clean and wholesome.
- It's a tragically satisfying hobby that offers a never-ending source of wholesome fun.
- Even Florida taxi drivers like their players wholesome and squeaky-clean.
- A visit to the buzzing town of Ibiza provides a nice contrast to the wholesome yoga scene.
- The emphasis is on good, wholesome fun, and relaxation for the family with an enviable spread of good food and activities.
- Nick Lachey is a nice wholesome boy from Kentucky, and Jessica is a down home girl from Texas.
- There is an element of righteous anger, especially when a purveyor of a wholesome family image is the guilty party.
- Though we may have started out extending a wholesome influence on only one person, that influence could expand to many others.
- It's an absolute staple of sanity and good wholesome cultural fun, and by Jove there are some fine tunes to be had into the bargain.
- We're also allowed to say nice wholesome things and there has been an extraordinary amount of that about.
- Our center will provide a way for them to learn the art of clean, wholesome living and social responsibility.
- The main character is so wholesome and innocent that she's almost alienating.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.