- On overcast afternoons, all alone in the drizzle, my mother, carrying a basket (stained blue on the inside by somebody's whortleberries), would set out on a long collecting tour.
- The most popular plant worn as a clan emblem was the red whortleberry.
- Vaccinium myrtillus is a member of the Ericaceae family, and is also known as European blueberry, huckleberry, whortleberry, or blueberry.
- Clustered among the turning leaves were bilberries, cranberries, bog whortleberries, cloudberries and a dozen others, edible and poisonous.
- Think of David Bellamy, a man only complete when rummaging among beetles and whortleberries, and who encases his head in a tangled, bushy forest.