In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Blind Date was always a heartless show, because its appeal is not whether the wide boys and bimbos will fall in love - or to put it less euphemistically, have sex.
- Thanks to the wide boys, spivs, spin doctors and hereditary idiots who have hijacked a once great Australian institution.
- Politicians, TV personalities, pub landlords and cockney wide boys have all felt the brush of mainstream satire, but rarely has the office manager come under such intense and at times painful scrutiny.
- Prices had doubled or tripled because the American broadcasters were prepared to pay what the local wide boys were asking.
- Consequently, the leery wide boys responsible laughed in the face of the law for two years before the police finally found witnesses prepared to testify.
- By the end of the night, Cocktail Girl is sharing brandies and lecherous back chat with seven Brummie wide boys, all of whom sport Beckham haircuts and tight jeans.
- Wide checks for wide boys, collarless Cardin for the classless Beatles, zoots for the sharp, velvet for the hip, tweeds for the country gentleman and Brooks Brothers for the modestly ambitious.
- Yet the more sensible half of me thinks that the six city wide boys involved are undoubtedly very sad individuals.
- Prolier than thou, and ostentatiously radical, but a bit too fond of the cigars and limos and always looking a bit odd in a suit that was slightly too expensive… what the English call a wide boy.
- Except he's a bit of a wide boy (being careful here to avoid possible writs) with a tendency to say ‘libation’ when he means booze.
- Part of Preece's limited budget for next term will be spent on bringing a couple of wide boys to the club.
- He was the epitome of the cockney wide boy but what a shock to the system of his new found well to do relatives when he inherited the country seat and title of Lord Hareford.
- We paid two dodgy East End wide boys to come and take away all the rubbish we had gathered in the weeks since we last had work done - it cost a little bit less than a skip would have done.
- She thinks he's a bit of a wide boy and he really has to earn her respect… which eventually he does.
- Oh, and I suppose I should mention that there are two or three male presenters but they all look like dreadful wide boys and are quite unremarkable.
- He has gained a reputation as a dilettante, a dabbler who had the right accent at the right time, a wide boy who bashes off a thin book when he's not too busy having a good time.
- The only way to slow up the wide boys in the industry is to educate consumers, starting at school and continuing with government funded education programs for adults.
- She has a nine o clock appointment with that wide boy Willie Dynham.
- Amidst booming drum 'n' bass, models stilettoed through the sawdust and sauntered around the audience whilst being accosted by wide boys shouting abuse and touching them up.
- Thankfully it's not elitist though and the crowd is a mix of wide boys on the beer, girls in high heels and highlights on the Cosmos, and a few non regulars just popping in to relax and chat in elegant surrounds.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.