1(extensively)she is very widely traveled — ha viajado mucho
- a widely read young man — un joven de extensa cultura
- opposition to the regime is widely based — la oposición al régimen tiene una base muy amplia
- these products are now widely available — estos productos se consiguen con facilidad ahora
- it was widely publicized — se le dio gran publicidad
2(commonly)it is widely believed that … — comúnmente se cree que …
- it is not widely understood that … — no se suele entender que …
- a widely held view — una opinión muy extendida
- a widely used brand of detergent — una marca de detergente muy usada
- a widely respected figure — una figura muy respetada
- a widely read newspaper — un diario muy leído
- a 19ᵗʰ century author still widely read today — un autor del siglo XIX que se lee mucho aún hoy
3(to a large degree)(vary) muchothe two styles are widely different — los dos estilos son muy diferentes
- Precise laws governed their administration, yet they differed widely in character.
- The date and length of the flowering season varied widely among the different clones.
- Yet just by looking at the English and German sites we see widely different layouts.
- Chuck and Ellen have posted widely different reports about this movie in recent days.
- The scope of the duty varies widely according to the nature of the employment.
- This script is characterised by elegant angular forms that were to vary widely.
- Heavy coffee drinkers who suddenly stop drinking the stuff often get headaches, but tolerance varies widely.
- But this is effectively where the comparison ends, because they are two widely different books.
- State laws vary widely, with some allowing specific forms of gambling within their borders.
- As might be expected, their verses reflect widely different experiences of Ireland.
- Sometimes quite separate items of news from widely different places can appear to be connected.
- Children across the world, from widely different backgrounds, celebrate their coming of age.
- There were also widely different figures for donations between all three accounts.
- Retail prices vary widely, but the industry is considered to be quite profitable.
- The union also said the use of the orders varied widely in different parts of the country.
- Their motives in choosing things can vary fairly widely, but it will never be anything to do with the garments themselves.
- In a similar way, the opinions of conservatives could vary widely.
- This week's Westmorland Gazette reveals two widely different viewpoints about Kendal and its future.
- The static and dynamic characteristics of these two types of vehicles vary widely.
- Interest rates vary widely, so switching lenders can bring savings.