In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Nearby, groups of wildebeest, nyala antelope and zebra milled about their cages and enormous white rhinos rested on their sides in their long pens.
- Midway between the panorama and the four bizarre leonine images is a third panel, showing two lions below a bison that looks directly at them, just as modern-day wildebeests warily eye African lions on the Serengeti Plain.
- So even if it means a person actually targeted a wildebeest or impala, it's definitely going to end up catching a rhino in a way they set up the snares.
- First in were wildebeest, zebras and giraffes, and then, after ten years, predators were introduced - two prides of lions, cheetahs and a pack of wild dogs.
- Zebras therefore tend to be the first species to utilize an area, and they are followed by wildebeests and gazelles after they have trampled and cropped the grass short.
- Kenya is also home to some of the world's most spectacular wildlife, including elephants, lions, giraffes, zebras, antelope, wildebeests, and many rare and beautiful species of birds.
- To get to class, students travel a path known as the Warthog Trot, a winding trail through the bush that's also used by giraffes, kudu, wildebeests, and impalas.
- By day, follow expert Masai guides on foot to spot lions, cheetahs, and wildebeests without disturbing their habitats.
- In less than an hour the assembled scavengers had picked the wildebeest's bones clean.
- In the last flush of the setting sun, impalas and wildebeest pull tighter together and drift toward deep cover before nightfall.
- They are typically graceful, having long legs and horns, and include the eland, wildebeest, gazelle, springbok, hartebeest, impala, etc.
- The delta is filled with wildlife - wildebeest, giraffe, hippo, elephant, zebra and buffalo have all found a home here.
- The grazers are mainly antelope, wildebeest, hartebeest, oribi, impala, gazelle, reedbuck, roan and sable antelope.
- You'll get up close to the wildlife, including giraffe, zebra, impala and wildebeest, and all riding abilities are catered for, including beginners.
- In a terrestrial context this scenario might be likened to gazelles, wildebeests, and lions gathering around a watering hole.
- Cheetahs use their speed to outrun their prey, which includes such fleet-footed creatures as gazelles and wildebeests.
- We walked for hours in the warm sun of the African spring, and in the near distance saw impalas, zebras, a few elephants, wildebeests, and giraffes, as well as the ever-present vervet monkeys catching air between branches.
- Disunity can also prove fatal - wildebeests or caribou that stray away from the main herd are far more likely to fall victim to lions or wolves.
- Some other interesting wildlife here includes giraffe, leopard, cheetah, jackal, blue wildebeest, gemsbok and black rhino.
- He also established game on the farm - wildebeest, zebra, blesbok, duiker and jackals.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.