In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
12nd person singular present of will
1(plant/flower) ponerse mustio(flower/plant) marchitarseeveryone was wilting in the heat — el calor los estaba haciendo languidecer
- he wilted visibly under her glare — su mirada lo hizo encogerse
- A severe infestation will cause the plant to wilt; leaves may yellow and fall.
- In the heat, the grass grows rapidly and the flowers wilt fast, so there was much to be done.
- When this condition exists, the leaves of plants wilt or curl.
- Similarly, in cut chrysanthemum flowers, the leaves often wilt, due to a blockage for water transport in the xylem of the basal stem part.
- If any of the cut leaves wilt and turn brown, remove and dispose of them.
- The best time of day to cut is midmorning, after the dew has dried but well before any flowers wilt.
- Watch your plants and if you see leaves wilting, don't wait until they discolor and die, but find out the cause.
- Insufficient removal of these air embolisms may result in serious water stress which may lead to early leaf wilting as previously shown in chrysanthemum cut flowers.
- In the spring, you will be letting the leaves wilt on their own and dry up.
- Often the first sign is black or burgundy sap oozing from tiny holes in the bark; soon after, the tree wilts, turning starkly brown.
- The leaves turn a yellow-bronze, and within a day or two, the upper leaves wilt, then the lower leaves wilt.
- At this time, chill treatment seedlings were severely wilted with extensive leaf rolling characteristic of water-stressed maize.
- The first symptoms of this fungal disease are yellowing or bronzing leaves that wilt, followed by sudden plant death.
- If you see leaf wilting or hard, caked soil, water the trees well and slowly enough to allow the water to soak in.
- The crown and roots of these infected plants turn dark and soft, and the leaves usually wilt.
- As a consequence, leaves may wilt or even be injured as previously observed for cucumber and figleaf gourd in response to low root temperature.
- On return to air these leaves wilted and yellowed rapidly.
- When a squash stem suddenly wilts, and you find punctures or cracks near the base of the plant, you know that squash vine borer is present.
- The tress had been broken into two, the flowers had all wilted, and the grass was all brown.
- If plants start to wilt slightly water them right away.
1(plant) poner mustio
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.