In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(product) limpiacristales masculine(product) limpiavidrios masculine Latin America(person) limpiacristales feminine(person) limpiavidrios feminine Latin America
- After all, when the window cleaner comes to clean your windows and you pay him he doesn't ask you where the money's come from.
- Mr Oaks, who has worked as a window cleaner for the past 15 years, joked: ‘I have seen some strange things over the years.’
- Companies are happy to employ window cleaners and people to vacuum but many of them forget about the danger at their fingertips.
- The number of women employing au pairs, window cleaners and gardeners has increased by only 7.9 per cent in the past five years.
- Eveidently the tenant had neither heard of a vacuum cleaner nor a window cleaner.
- My employer was always short of what he called ‘change’ for the milkman, the window cleaner (then a necessity in London), and for a round of drinks or a taxi fare.
- The trees belonged to her husband Thomas, 57, a self-employed window cleaner, who has been growing bonsai for more than ten years, and has displayed them at the prestigious Chelsea Flower Show.
- The musical, based on the book by Abe Burrows with music and lyrics by Frank Loesser, focuses on J Pierrepont, a young window cleaner who starts to climb the corporate ladder.
- The door would normally be locked but the window cleaner had just been.
- After retiring from soccer in 1977 Astle became a window cleaner before forging a TV career in the 1990s with cameo singing roles on television's Fantasy Football League show.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.