In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- As well as windscreen repairs, Jeff can supply affordable windscreens and windscreen rubbers.
- Motorists whose vehicles have tinted windscreens are being given three weeks to see the light - or face prosecution.
- By only using windscreens from leading glass manufacturers, Autoglass says it can focus on training its technicians to the highest standards.
- The light grey chalk dust sticks on motor vehicle windscreens and other shiny objects and does not easily come off.
- The impact smashed the front windscreen and ruptured fuel pipes in the engine causing the car to become an inferno.
- Last week, we were driving along when a bird we hadn't seen before flew right past the front windscreen.
- The concrete went through the back window and struck him on the shoulder and then hit the front windscreen.
- As part of the new campaign, police will also be advising drivers who have small coloured red or blue lights in their front windscreens.
- This has led Autoglass to launch a campaign to encourage fleet managers to ensure that any chipped windscreens are repaired before they turn into cracks, saving a huge amount of time and money.
- The new system is operated by a small display unit which is placed near the front windscreen of the car.
- The windscreen and the bumper are the two main sources of injury in pedestrian crashes.
- The windscreen is closer to horizontal than on the hatchback, and the rear overhang is longer.
- Private hire vehicles are now required to carry new, more visible licence plates on the rear of the vehicle, near and offside front doors and front and rear windscreens.
- The light standard for vehicle windscreens means front windows must allow 75 per cent of light through, while side windows must admit 70 per cent.
- A gang of drunken thugs threw a can of booze which smashed the front windscreen of a family's car.
- The vandals mainly broke off wing mirrors and damaged windscreens in the vehicles.
- Other cars in the Keith Thompson Centre car park, at Braithwaite, Keighley, had windscreens smashed and body work dented in the incident on Monday night.
- Trouble flared on Tuesday night when the front and rear windscreens were smashed.
- Several vehicles have had their windscreens broken and bodywork dented.
- Pupils on a school trip drove back from London in a damaged coach after a pheasant flew into the front windscreen.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.