In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- The tiniest kitten heels in the world, and toes like winkle-pickers.
- If you were a mod you had to wear winkle-pickers.
- I'm like those women who discovered beehives and winkle-pickers back in the 1950s and still sport them today.
- Like many young people I ignored advice not to wear winkle-pickers, stilettoes and high platforms, and boy am I paying for it.
- The days of rock-star wannabe, red winkle-pickers and embarrassing 1980s’ garb are long gone and Kerr leads a sophisticated life.
zapato muy puntiagudo
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.