In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1cortaalambres masculinepinzas de corte feminine Mexicofeminine cizallasfeminine cizalla
- She borrowed wire-cutters from a neighbour and worked for nearly an hour to snip through the bindings, while calming the terrified animal.
- Matt pulled the wire-cutters back, and reached for the green wire, instead.
- The fact they've used wire-cutters to get in and left a hammer behind suggests it's pre-planned but it is probably children.
- Officers found a screwdriver and wire-cutters in his backpack.
- Finally, the manager and a policeman cut through the chain with wire-cutters.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.