In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1lana de acero femininevirulana feminine Argentina trademarkfibra metálica feminine Mexico
- Someone has attempted to erase the rather ugly scrawl in the middle with wire wool, or something scratchily similar.
- He used the wire wool scouring scrubbing pad that I use to clean the cooker.
- Alternatively, restorer's wax polish (there are several proprietary brands available) also applied with very fine wire wool and then polished with a rag gives an excellent finish.
- Scrub rusty grates with wire wool and give cast-iron surrounds a gloss with grate polish, available from hardware shops.
- Always follow the provided instructions very carefully, leaving the chemical stripper for the stated time before removing with fine grade wire wool.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.