In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(person) enjuto y nervudo
- The wiry woman released a heaving sigh and motioned towards the small stool.
- The deputy, who is a small, wiry man with long whiskers that stick out from his face in disarray, turns to look up at the hotel.
- He is wiry, bearded, a life-long mountaineer, skier and runner and one of Scotland's leading endurance riders.
- Would I ever get to see his tall, wiry frame, blue eyes, dark hair, or friendly smile again?
- Joe was slim and wiry, with blue eyes and rather pinched features.
- He stands up, revealing a pair of skimpy black briefs and the wiry body of somebody in their twenties: no fat, no sag, no wrinkles.
- A diminutive, wiry figure, he sits, smoking roll-ups and nursing a cup of black coffee, in the corner of his ground floor study in north London.
- It parked, and a wiry, balding fellow of about forty got out and stood, hands on hips, observing the site he'd selected.
- One is a wiry, intense Chicagoan, the other a languid, slow-talking Southerner.
- A thin wiry man was sitting at the counter, downing a bottle of beer.
- Half an hour later, a fit-looking wiry man with a pleasant smile has joined us.
- He was probably in his mid fifties, with wiry build and silver hair.
- That frail, scrawny, wiry physique of his, observed in a football strip from 50 yards away in a press-box, only told half the story.
- His father shakes my hand with an unusually strong grip for a short, wiry man in his seventies.
- I turned around to face him, doing everything I could not to gawk at his lean, wiry figure.
- The wiry guard cast a suspicious look throughout the room.
- He was wiry, pleasant looking man with an air of learning about him.
- He was a small, spare, wiry man, highly intelligent, with unusual gifts of persuasion and leadership.
- He was wiry but compact, like a spring wound so tight it's ready to pop.
- She was as wiry as a trimmed olive branch, and just as dark.
2(hair) áspero(hair) hirsuto
- His dark eyes sparkled with life and amusement from the mass of black wiry hair that covered his face.
- She shook her head so hard that a wiry black curl fell into her face, and she hurriedly pushed it behind her ear.
- He was incredibly short, fat and stocky, with a tuft of balding, wiry hair sticking straight up as if he'd just clambered out of bed.
- Beneath the table his feet are doing their own private dance, while the wiry hair that crowns his angular, mercurial features is a buzz of static feedback.
- Suds from the soapy sponge he used to clean the floor clung to his sleeves and nestled in his wiry black hair.
- Ma Dubois is in her late seventies: old and wrinkled with a blue frock, a Brillo pad of wiry grey hair and a pair of thick horn-rimmed glasses.
- From this angle, they look similar - the hawk nose, the wiry straight hair, the deep-set gray eyes.
- Ingrown hairs and razor bumps happen when hair is cut beneath surface level or is wiry or curly.
- He had dark brown wiry hair, stubble over his lower face and a deep scar under his left eye.
- At sixty-seven, van Itallie is slight and wiry, with white hair and sharp blue eyes and a manner that is both brusque and warm.
- Her wiry gray hair curled from beneath the edges of a blue kerchief and a colorful fringed shawl draped over her shoulders.
- The man was a little shorter than him with wiry black hair that was graying at his temples.
- She settled into her bedroll and ran a slender hand through the mass of wiry black hair atop her head, pulling it back into a ponytail.
- He had long, wiry black hair, and a bristly goatee-beard-mustache combination around his lower face.
- Her brown eyes are intelligent and searching and her long wiry dark hair has been cut into a short pixie-style cut and dyed honey brown.
- He had short, wiry brown hair, most of which was covered by the hat he wore.
- She looked pretty similar to Amanda, except she had long wiry looking auburn-red hair tied into 2 bunches.
- It shows a woman with a tall, intelligent face, straggly wiry hair and very long fingers held up and covering one eye.
- Offering her an encouraging smile, he hurried over to a large man with white hair, and a wiry grey moustache.
- She was pale, late thirties or so, with dark wiry hair spiked straight up in a tall, scary crew cut, and tawny skin.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.