In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1mujer femininefeminine mujerthere's a woman outside to see you — hay una señora / mujer afuera que te quiere ver
- an old woman — (less respectful, less polite) una vieja
- he's a bit of an old woman — es como una vieja pesada
- a young woman — una chica
- that's Roger's young woman — esa es la novia de Roger
- this perfume brings out the woman in you — este perfume realza tu femineidad
- he ran off with another woman — se fue con otra
- you're a lucky woman — tienes suerte
- she's a sick woman — está muy enferma
- women and children first — las mujeres y los niños primero
- a woman's work is never done — el trabajo de la casa no se acaba nunca
- the women's movement — el movimiento de liberación de la mujer
- the women's page — la página femenina
- we have a woman who comes in once a week — tenemos una chica / muchacha / señora que viene una vez por semana
- a woman's touch — el toque femenino
- the house lacked a woman's touch — en la casa faltaba el toque femenino / la mano de una mujer
- to be one's own woman — ser una mujer independiente
- to make an honest woman of sb — casarse con algn
- before noun a woman lawyer/dentist/engineer — una abogada/dentista/ingeniera
- woman priest — mujer sacerdote
- a woman friend of mine — una amiga mía
- Medical examination found that the amount of oestrogen in his body had reached that of adult women.
- It is probable that adult women gain much of their contemporary exposure to computer games at work.
- For a fourth straight month, the number of jobs increased for both adult women and adult men.
- The reality is that this debate is about the fundamental human rights of women.
- Approximately two in five men and one in seven women in Scotland now drink so heavily that it is hazardous to their health.
- The idea that women are real human beings with thoughts and emotions is played down.
- It's not a conspiracy, it's called human nature, and women are not the only victims.
- The fact is that the seven men and women who died were shining examples of how great the human race can be.
- The jury of seven women and five men were discharged after failing to reach a verdict after more than eight hours of deliberation.
- In the ad, five women sit in the stands and praise an adult male for showing up to watch his son's game.
- I was able to talk - this might sound silly to you - talk to adult men and women face to face.
- Several Jewish women who work for human rights are making their objections heard.
- This is one of the first rites of passage toward acceptance into the adult society of women.
- Violence against women is a fundamental abuse of women's human rights and the scale of the problem is phenomenal.
- Of the seven women lifters, five bagged three gold each, while two others had one each.
- It sets the stage for the adult lives of women, who no doubt grew up dreaming like Mallika.
- The course is open to mature adults, particularly women, who wish to return to the workforce.
- From age twelve she is obligated to comply with all the demands placed on adult women.
- Some places are still available in the Oral Irish Class, for adult men and women.
- Adult men and women are deemed to be equal in the administration of Australian justice.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.