In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- The online survey is quick and easy to fill out, and if you don't know your wallabies from your wombats there's a picture gallery to help you.
- Scientists think an Ice Age marsupial similar to modern wombats was much larger than previously believed.
- The skeleton of a very large Diprotodon, an extinct fossil marsupial somewhat resembling a wombat the size of a rhinoceros, had been discovered south of Karratha in the Pilbara region.
- Maybe you would see koalas, wombats, echidnas, brush tail and ring tail possums and emus if you're lucky.
- As Gondwana broke up, the link was broken, and the Australasian marsupials evolved in isolation, giving rise to the modern groups of koalas, bandicoots, wombats, and kangaroos.
- So each species will probably carry a different profile but we have yet to look at various species such as kangaroos and wombats and others that come to mind immediately.
- In fact there is a great deal at Riversleigh that is more complex than just the fossils of koalas and wombats and kangaroos and other weird creatures.
- On Terra these include kangaroos, wallabies, bandicoots, opossums, and wombats.
- Koalas and wombats are probably each other's closest relatives.
- So the extension of the term ‘marsupial’ is the set of all marsupials: kangaroos, wallabies, wombats, and so on.
- There are a variety of possums, early kangaroos, koalas, wombats and quolls, as well as marsupial groups that are now completely extinct.
- Well Kayne's waistcoat was made out of several native Australian animals, possibly possum, wombat, kangaroo and wallaby pelts, all sewn together.
- It is also my first chance to see the wonderfully unique wildlife here; kangaroos, wallabies, wombats, pademelons, possums, and various unique birds.
- It is home to possums, pelicans, the duck-billed platypus, the kookaburra, kangaroos and wombats, to name just those he found for us during our adventure into paradise.
- Amateur fossil hunters have helped to uncover the oldest known ancestor to kangaroos, koalas, possums, and wombats.
- Australia once boasted a spectacular megafauna including giant wombats as big as grizzly bears and giant kangaroos.
- There, fishermen sold the French more animals, including dwarf emus, a tame kangaroo and several more wombats, all of which arrived safely in France on March 24, 1804.
- To the kangaroos and emus of the outback, I was able to add sightings of wallabies, a wombat, and an echidna.
- Wroe's team recognized that for marsupials (like koalas, wombats, and kangaroos) brain size could be used to estimate overall body weight.
- Like their koala cousins, wombats have a hardened layer over the muscles of their rump; a very hardened layer.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.