In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1lana femininea ball of wool — un ovillo de lana
- pure new wool — pura lana virgen
- glass wool — lana de vidrio
- before noun wool trade — comercio de la lana
- an all-wool carpet — una alfombra de pura lana
- The entire body and limbs were covered with a thick fine hair or wool curling tightly to the skin.
- It was a weaving village, raising sheep for wool, making strong cloth, dying it, and sometimes making clothing items out of it.
- A cape made of goat or sheep wool, called a bourka, is worn around the shoulders.
- In the case of meat sheep versus wool sheep, wool is usually around $10 a kilo, and meat $2 a kilo.
- Nomads of the desert and the high plateau live in tents woven from goat's hair, wool, and grass.
- In addition to building fertility, the sheep provide wool for Kimberton Hills' textile workshop.
- The wool is sheared in early spring and sold to Tierra Wools.
- The initial lining is made of fine grasses and bark, and then a second lining of feathers, wool, or other animal hair is added.
- Farming provided food, and their sheep provided wool for cloth.
- When it snowed on the peaks we used to shear the wool from the sheep and goats.
- People breed sheep with the intention of shearing their wool, making clothing out of their skin, and eating their flesh.
- Sally has been organically farming the fine wool from Wensleydale sheep in Stoodleigh, Devon, for 11 years and now has the largest flock in the world.
- Tents and rugs are made from sheep's wool or goats' hair.
- At first it had seemed such a good idea, to sit at the spinning wheel and spin the soft cream wool of her Jacob's sheep into fine woollen thread.
- Until recently, sheep shearing and wool processing was the major industry.
- She was wearing a cloak made out of a Lena's fur, which was much like a sheep's wool, only finer and much softer.
- Nesting material is usually moss, wool, hair and feathers.
- He pulled out his trusted wooden sword and cut a swath of wool from the sheep, exposing the flesh of the animal.
- Local wool and goat hair is hand woven into various textiles.
- They believed thick hair was best and used hair extensions and wigs made of real hair or sheep's wool to achieve this ‘look.’
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.