In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1trabajador masculinetrabajadora femininehe's a good/slow worker — trabaja bien/lentamente
- factory worker — obrero
- building workers — obreros de la construcción
2(ant, bee)obrera feminine
- These samples were collected from different queenless colonies, the worker brood emerging being laid by workers.
- Polybia occidentalis workers engaged in social biting with nest mates.
- The worker bees are the ones capable of stinging.
- When there is an influx of nectar into the nest, the colony deploys more workers for foraging.
- We also tested intercolony hostility between nonmarked workers of two original colonies.
- In autumn, the larvae emerge as adult workers and begin enlarging the colony.
- You can separate workers from the colony to experiment, put them back together, and so on.
- Colony development and the behavior of workers in these colonies resembled colonies reared in summer.
- Fifty or a hundred yards farther on, the worker ants form a new nest, and the colony files into place, rapidly at first and then more slowly as the last guests stumble in.
- Often, when the queen or many workers are killed, host colonies eventually perish.
- All of the colonies contained at least eight workers and a queen at the start of the experiments.
- ‘At first I thought it might have been a worker bee or a wasp or something, but it was about two or three times the size of a normal wasp - it was massive,’ she said.
- One teaspoon of honey is the entire life work of a worker bee.
- But other worker bees in the org are not so happy with the move.
- Drifting of honeybee workers into neighboring colonies is common and well established.
- For a single colony, the workers collected at baits were kept alive in the laboratory.
- The queen bee eats the workers ' eggs to retain her control over the colony.
- The honeybees return to the hive and pass the nectar onto other worker bees.
- The species has been shown to display nepotism as the worker ants favor the broods of the queen to whom they are most closely related.
- By staying out in the cold, the worker slows down the parasite's metabolism, often so much that the bee dies a natural death before the fly larva can mature.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.