In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1burro de carga masculinebestia de carga feminine
- They tend to be more workhorses than show horses.
- As machinery began to overtake the use of workhorses, the Black Forest horse became endangered.
- Edmund kept two horses for himself, but the rest were workhorses for the land or pulling carriages.
- We experimented with teams of Percheron and Belgian workhorses.
- After 26 years of horse power, we sold our six workhorses (yes, we were guilty of ‘get bigger or get out’), completing our switch to using hand power.
- They are workhorses and the one I chose is both affordable and powerful.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.