1masculine asilo de pobres
- But at the time the only alleviation remained the institution of workhouses, although philanthropists were constructing almshouses, cheap housing for the poor.
- The grants are being offered for work on everything from thatched cottages to stately homes and castles, large and small country houses, town houses, churches, workhouses and public buildings, including an old post office.
- Unlike Boston, which had the financial resources to build more than one public institution for the poor, many towns in New England only built one institution, either a workhouse or an almshouse.
- Overnight accommodation varied, from the the casual wards of local workhouses to more friendly lodgings and municipally-arranged feasts.
- The overarching vision of a totally deterrent New Poor Law where relief would only be administered in the workhouse clashed with local parish budgets and the reality of the family wage economy.