In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- In his absence, his new club, under their new coach, made a workmanlike start to the Premiership campaign, but won few plaudits for style.
- This was more like it - a workmanlike performance embued with no shortage of skill and plenty of heart.
- That liability is not qualified by any term that work be done with reasonable skill and care or in a competent or workmanlike manner.
- Yoder's style, illustrated in this Anniston Star piece, appears to be workmanlike but not unusual.
- However, he seemed happy to look over my plans and that, coupled with workmanlike builder's hands and nice Italian shoes, made my heart skip.
- His workmanlike versatility and steady output have earned him a reputation as an artistic chameleon.
- The first he managed in an efficient, workmanlike manner.
- Lawson's workmanlike approach to the Hull game was typical of the whole team, who are making far fewer sloppy mistakes than earlier in the campaign.
- They went about their tasks in a very professional and workmanlike manner.
- As he tells it, Kwan approached his criminal life with workmanlike discipline.
- The workmanlike Campbell deserved a goal for his efforts, and thought he had it four minutes before half time only to see his simple finish ruled out by a linesmen's flag.
- The other pair were intent on turning every course they worked on into a masterpiece, as a monument to their genius but the Scot was far more workmanlike in the way he did his business.
- A solid, workmanlike display, they won't be far away at season's end.
- Britten betrays his workmanlike approach to composing here: there was no question of waiting for inspiration to descend.
- Dukinfield are workmanlike rather than spectacular and from the kick-off they displayed their intention of frustrating the home side.
- For two years the Mongols moved from fortress to fortress with workmanlike efficiency.
- Although he was happy with the team's workmanlike performance, he reckoned there were enough chances to win this contest.
- Yeah, they'll win a lot of games in an efficient, workmanlike fashion.
- His workmanlike approach doesn't lend itself to much praise, but what he's doing this season is remarkable.
- Included in the deal was the four-wheel-drive Musso, a workmanlike offroader which had never really achieved anything.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.