In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1compañero de trabajo masculinecompañera de trabajo feminine
- He enjoyed swimming and going to the gym, and was popular with workmates and his many friends.
- Get tickets produced to sell to your workmates, friends and neighbours.
- And she said they were all glad they had gone ahead - cheered on by friends, family and workmates.
- Arriving back at my desk, I discover I have a second workmate who will be sitting with Ben and myself.
- Raise the conference among your workmates and colleagues, and urge them to sign up for the conference.
- Her true identity is a secret from her new friends and workmates.
- It's fine to complain to your friends, workmates or perfect strangers.
- You've probably had rows with all sorts of people, from your own parents to workmates and friends.
- The group of staff will be supported by friends and workmates from Woodlands.
- When Mr Baker lost his footing and fell, it started running for a few seconds until a workmate pressed an emergency stop button.
- It was great for me because in addition to having lots of family and friends and workmates there to give me a cheer, the public really got behind me.
- People didn't just want to sign, they wanted copies to take away and use with their friends and workmates.
- Commitment to workmates and friends also acquires a diminished significance.
- Your victim could be the workmate with whom you shared a sandwich from your lunchbox.
- Tell your friends and workmates about it, and ask them to come.
- All his family, workmates, friends and neighbours celebrated his big night.
- Still, it was great to catch up with so many old friends and workmates.
- Family and friends, workmates and business contacts got together for a party at New Year.
- Isolate yourself from your workmates and friends, and you'll avoid this.
- I ask you, your friends, family and workmates to join us in doing that.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.