In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
3(factory)fábrica femininecement works — fábrica de cemento
- printing works — imprenta
- before noun works canteen — casino — en el lugar de trabajo
- works committee — comité de empresa
- works outing — excursión con la gente del trabajo
4(mechanism)mecanismo masculineto gum up the works — embarrarla
- to be in the works — estar en trámite
- your application is in the works — su solicitud está en trámite
5informal(all)there were candles, soft music, the works! — había velas, música ambiental y toda la historia
- to give sb the works — (give lavish treatment) tratar a algn a cuerpo de rey
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.