In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(in factory)taller masculine
- Giant disused workshops and factory buildings would be flattened to make way for new homes and business properties.
- Gun shops and home workshops are rooms with sharp metal laying around, grinding dust in the air and concrete floors.
- With my mind made up, I turn around, and quickly run across the spacious living room towards my workshop.
- Railways' have only a meagre capacity for manufacturing wagons in their workshops.
- On my way to work I walk past workshops, garages and building sites.
- It currently uses the quarry site to house vehicle repair workshops and store vehicles used for the film and television industry.
- At the same time they were workshops for the manufacture of textiles, bedding, and other articles for first aid.
- The money meant the group could set up a workshop to repair any broken furniture collected.
- The last time I had been here was to bring a watch from the shop up to the jewellery workshops for repair.
- At the back were unsightly old workshops and flat-roofed buildings.
- Whilst this may be true for those sunken featured buildings used as workshops, recent reconstructions have shown this to be the wrong idea for houses.
- Each store has a recycling workshop used to repair and refurbish donated items.
- The classrooms have been turned into workshops where windows are repaired, restored and triple-glazed.
- The class was supposed to clean up the workshop and store rooms.
- Most of it is devoted to offices, conservation workshops and a packing room.
- The steel-and-concrete skeleton of the building has been repaired and the workshops have been gutted.
- This in itself was inconvenient as my van is also my workshop and materials store room.
- She also opened a body workshop to repair bikes and now has garages around the country that are approved by the company to carry out repairs.
- Units are mainly rented by car repair workshops and tradesmen.
- Its outbuildings have been converted to meeting rooms and workshops.
2(study group)taller masculinepoetry workshop — taller de poesía
- As part of their two weeks work, volunteers engage in discussion workshops dealing with the causes of poverty in third world countries.
- The students had prepared projects for the various discussion workshops.
- The Network promotes the use of model organisms and intends to provide a forum for meetings, workshops and other activities.
- About 200 sessions, mostly workshops and interview-style panel discussions, will be held on six themes.
- There are a number of community capacity building workshops going on throughout the Halifax municipality.
- In addition to working with almost 200 clients in the past two years, Hamill has held hundreds of business seminars and workshops on the subject.
- Those who attend the conference will engage in a series of workshops and discussions that can contribute to the unity of our movement.
- This art became one of most discussed subjects in contemporary theatre workshops.
- Talking of great expectations, I had my first workshop for The Smoking Room today.
- The workshop is an activist project in that it empowers the women and helps them get in touch with their creative potential.
- A series of workshops will be held building up to the festival in June.
- We have surveyed nations, held training workshops, done pilot projects, and held conferences.
- This downed my spirits a little, until a vibrant and enthusiastic woman burst into the room and began the workshop.
- Activities will include workshops, small group discussions, good food.
- Meetings and workshops are underway to discuss how and if the event will be rehabilitated.
- We don't need empowerment workshops or team building techniques.
- The programme includes one-day meetings and workshops as well as activities to enhance links with external funding bodies and industry.
- A fortnight ago she was in Barcelona for the weekend, on a British Council project, doing workshops and playing a show.
- Several workshops focus on building self-confidence and escaping depression.
- Upstairs, the large rooms host workshops for local craft groups, with whom Chris has become friendly since he took up pottery three years ago.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.