In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1guerra mundial feminineWorld war One/Two — la primera/segunda Guerra Mundial
- During the second world war he served with the US military and flew with a bomber crew to study stress.
- He was killed in the second world war near Dunkirk when his battalion was overrun.
- It was not until after the second world war that relative prosperity began to return.
- Like the First World War, each world war destroyed what went before, the values, the way of life.
- As is well known, Turing spent the second world war breaking German military codes.
- These grew out of the clinic's contribution to military officer selection in the second world war.
- It took the second world war to establish that having blood banks was a good idea.
- She was all set to become an actress when the second world war intervened.
- The second world war was a far more menacing conflict with far more dangerous foes.
- He spent the rest of the second world war as a medical officer in the prisoner of war camps on the notorious Burma railway.
- The real miracle though, is that the cathedral survived the allied bombing of the second world war.
- He served in the army during the second world war and was wounded at Dunkirk.
- The ensuing national outrage persuaded a reluctant US public to join the second world war.
- During the second world war Gordon served in the Royal Army Medical Corps, mainly in Italy.
- He joined the Royal Navy when he left school, and during the second world war he served on minesweepers.
- During the second world war he served in the navy as a ship's psychiatrist.
- During the second world war he served in the Royal Army Medical Corps and was mentioned in despatches.
- The Green Beret has been the distinctive hallmark of Commando troops since the second world war.
- The second world war interrupted his studies and he was called up into the Royal Air Force as a navigator.
- Well if that's the case, why are we in the middle of a power battle not seen since the second world war.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.