In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(equal in value to)to be worth — valer
- it's worth a lot more than I paid for it — vale mucho más de lo que pagué por él
- it's a nice coat, but it isn't worth the money — el abrigo es bonito, pero no como para pagar ese precio
- goods worth £5,000 were stolen — robaron mercancías por valor de 5.000 libras
- she must be worth millions — debe ser millonaria
- he was worth $20 million when he died — cuando murió tenía una fortuna de 20 millones de dólares
- how much is it worth for me to keep quiet about it? — ¿cuánto me dan por no decir nada?
- she's worth ten of you — vale diez veces más que tú
- it's worth nothing to me — para mí no vale nada
2(worthy of)the museum is worth a visit — vale / merece la pena visitar el museo
- it's worth a try — vale / merece la pena intentarlo
- it's well worth the risk — bien vale / merece la pena correr el riesgo
- I don't think it's worth waiting for her any longer — creo que no vale la pena esperarla más
- it might be worth checking whether they've received it — convendría comprobar si lo han recibido
- it's not worth the trouble / the effort — no vale / no merece la pena molestarse
- that's worth knowing — es bueno saberlo
- don't argue with them, it isn't worth it — no discutas con ellos, no vale / no merece la pena
- don't let him upset you, he isn't worth it — no te amargues por él, no vale la pena
- if a job's worth doing, it's worth doing well — si se hace un trabajo, hay que hacerlo bien
1(equivalent)$2,000 dollars' worth of furniture — muebles por valor de 2.000 dólares
- three years' worth of hard work — tres años de duro trabajo
2masculine valorfeminine valíato prove one's worth — demostrar su (or mi etc.) valía
- the car proved its worth on the long journey — en ese largo viaje nos dimos cuenta de lo bueno que era el coche
- And then I suppose I'd need several million dollars worth of equipment and raw materials.
- Some HK $7.1 billion worth of apparel was exported in the first quarter of this year.
- Four years and over £10m worth of squashed fruit sales later, critics could be reviewing their scepticism.
- You may have always known his worth on an intellectual level, but now it becomes real to you.
- The whole of Kerala accounts for a cut-flower business worth more than Rs.3 crores a year.
- Personally, I didn't think a person's status as alive was dependent on moral worth.
- Masked raiders tied up a security guard and stole thousands of pounds' worth of computer equipment from Motorola, a court heard.
- You don't need a man to prove your self worth, " Waverly told her friend seriously.
- Given the context of a man seemingly re-evaluating his sense of inner worth, how does he feel now about his music having been used in car adverts?
- We have always tried to make her see that the inner worth of people is what is important, not the expensive trappings on the outside.
- We are asked and indeed expected to present ourselves to the world and each other as beings of value and worth.
- At the same time it won an order to supply 1.5 billion euros worth of equipment for 3G licenses.
- The Greeks expressed a belief in the worth, significance, and dignity of the individual.
- First, let me say that Otto Rehhagel has demonstrated the true worth of a genuinely gifted coach.
- Printing up trillions of dollars' worth of new money was bound to have an effect.
- Lesser shows were put into the same pot with retrospectives of quality, significance and worth.
- Regular keeper Lee Ward is on holiday for three weeks, but that should give an opportunity for new signing Mark Thornley to show his worth.
- This year he has certainly proved his worth and talent ten times over.
- Good as they are for reading or study or the like, their real value or worth is in their being voiced in common prayer.
- For every pound that the company spends, it only makes 10p worth of extra sales.
- There's more than half-a-million pounds' worth of prize money for these first three races.
- Lindsay alone accounted for some $300-million worth of sales over the past five years.
- No one becomes a decent human being without the love and caring of someone who truly values their worth.
- All the Plus edition models feature more than £3,000 worth of extra equipment.
- No longer do you have to achieve something of worth or have a famous or incredibly rich relation.
- Twelve pence worth of leaf gold was an expensive amount.
- It takes years to build up your image and esteem to the point where the your inner sense of worth meets your outer sense.
- We need to resist thinking that this proves our superior worth and attainment.
- A petrol station cashier was tied up by robbers who stole more than £10,000 worth of goods and money.
- James McLaren Showed his strength and worth in second-half break which inspired the best Scottish period of the game.
- The only way her husband can get the money is to provide lands of equivalent worth to Judith and her children.
- Sure, comedy is tough: it requires actual laughter to prove its value and worth.
- Miss Creamer told the prison authorities she had injected £80 worth of heroin and drank up to six litres of cider or lager each day.
- There's no place in this existence where athletes feel the meaning, worth or value they did as athletes.
- That is €1 billion worth of stock that has been, or will be, distributed tax - free.
- In total, I had technically lost nearly four hundred dollars worth of money.
- But in France the revolutionary spirit was still strong and the common people had gained a sense of their power and their worth.
- Americans import six dollars worth of goods from China for every one dollar of US products sold in China.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.