In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- It's a two-piece, with a sleeveless shirt and a wrap-around skirt.
- There's a hint of gipsy in the long, layered skirt; of the geisha in the wrap-over kimono tops with trailing butterfly sleeves and of the beach babe in the long, floaty kaftan.
- Dressed by Isaac Mizrahi in a black sarong-like skirt and white wrap-around top, he played with several small, often musical, props - a set of finger cymbals, a pair of castanets, a fan, and even a cylinder lit from inside.
- Women generally wear a loose, scoop-necked smock over a long skirt made by a wrap-around piece of cloth.
- Hausa women wear a wrap-around robe made of colorful cloth with a matching blouse, head tie, and shawl.
- She is wearing a brown patterned cotton blouse, a wrap-around skirt made from a local fabric called ankara and black sandals.
- Ms. Stewart's blonde hair hid her face as she exited the car, but she pushed it back as she climbed the steps, wearing a dark wrap-around coat, brown trousers and high-heeled brown boots.
- In 1572, the Spanish prohibited the Quechua from wearing native Inca tunics and wrap-around dresses.
- ‘Zen sport’ confronts us with asymmetrical wrap-over forms and kimono cuts in shiny jersey or quilted matelasse.
- Look out for fashionable twists on uniform basics such as wrap-over cargo-style skirts from £9.
- Giorgio Armani has harmonized beads and sequins to create a shiny jewel of a wrap-around top.
- For the most sumptuous layering for relaxing at home, wear slouchy drawstring trousers, cami and an oversized wrap-around cardigan in grey marl cashmere mix.
- She is wearing a ridiculously revealing wrap-over skirt, and he is carrying a vast number of books.
- Traditional clothing for Thai women consists of a prasin, or a wrap-around skirt, which is worn with a fitted, long-sleeved jacket.
- Granny then put away her good clothes and strategically placed the mothballs before putting on her blue wrap-around apron to finish the unpacking.
- Today, Jones enjoys the audience's reaction when she comes out in leather pants and a wrap-around blouse.
- The range includes silver Puffa jackets, plastic buckle wrap-around skirts, luminous vest tops and fleece trousers.
- She was wearing a denim very mini mini-skirt and a cream coloured Chinese-style wrap-around t-shirt.
- She was now wearing a slate wrap-around shirt, and a grey coat.
- I wore a black shirt and dhoti (a wrap-around waist cloth) and applied sandalwood paste and kumkum (red powder) to my forehead.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.