In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- The range includes silver Puffa jackets, plastic buckle wrap-around skirts, luminous vest tops and fleece trousers.
- Hausa women wear a wrap-around robe made of colorful cloth with a matching blouse, head tie, and shawl.
- She was now wearing a slate wrap-around shirt, and a grey coat.
- There's a hint of gipsy in the long, layered skirt; of the geisha in the wrap-over kimono tops with trailing butterfly sleeves and of the beach babe in the long, floaty kaftan.
- Women generally wear a loose, scoop-necked smock over a long skirt made by a wrap-around piece of cloth.
- I wore a black shirt and dhoti (a wrap-around waist cloth) and applied sandalwood paste and kumkum (red powder) to my forehead.
- She is wearing a ridiculously revealing wrap-over skirt, and he is carrying a vast number of books.
- Giorgio Armani has harmonized beads and sequins to create a shiny jewel of a wrap-around top.
- Traditional clothing for Thai women consists of a prasin, or a wrap-around skirt, which is worn with a fitted, long-sleeved jacket.
- Look out for fashionable twists on uniform basics such as wrap-over cargo-style skirts from £9.
- Dressed by Isaac Mizrahi in a black sarong-like skirt and white wrap-around top, he played with several small, often musical, props - a set of finger cymbals, a pair of castanets, a fan, and even a cylinder lit from inside.
- She is wearing a brown patterned cotton blouse, a wrap-around skirt made from a local fabric called ankara and black sandals.
- In 1572, the Spanish prohibited the Quechua from wearing native Inca tunics and wrap-around dresses.
- She was wearing a denim very mini mini-skirt and a cream coloured Chinese-style wrap-around t-shirt.
- For the most sumptuous layering for relaxing at home, wear slouchy drawstring trousers, cami and an oversized wrap-around cardigan in grey marl cashmere mix.
- ‘Zen sport’ confronts us with asymmetrical wrap-over forms and kimono cuts in shiny jersey or quilted matelasse.
- Granny then put away her good clothes and strategically placed the mothballs before putting on her blue wrap-around apron to finish the unpacking.
- Ms. Stewart's blonde hair hid her face as she exited the car, but she pushed it back as she climbed the steps, wearing a dark wrap-around coat, brown trousers and high-heeled brown boots.
- Today, Jones enjoys the audience's reaction when she comes out in leather pants and a wrap-around blouse.
- It's a two-piece, with a sleeveless shirt and a wrap-around skirt.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.