In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(author)escritor masculineescritora femininethey are still looking for the writer of the letter — siguen buscando al autor de la carta
- writer's block — bloqueo mental
- writer's cramp — calambre
- Gurdev Singh Ropana is an acclaimed writer of short stories and novels in Punjabi.
- The short story writers I have enjoyed most recently are Etgar Keret and Jhumpa Lahiri.
- Elisabeth Hurst is a writer of short stories; Jo Rittenhouse is a poet.
- From Joburg to Jozi is a compilation of short stories by writers and journalists who live or who have lived in the city.
- Alex Ninian is a travel writer whose articles on India and other countries have appeared in numerous British and American publications.
- This connection to both local and global urban realities has generated a range of critical responses from culture brokers and art writers.
- ‘The book is about growing old as a man,’ says short story writer, novelist and playwright Carl Nixon.
- Today, Dave is a lobster fisherman, while Maureen is both a fisher and a writer of short stories, novels, poetry, and children's literature.
- And as a bonus there are a few literary/review essays on writers like Nabokov, Sebald and Evelyn Waugh.
- The play is part of the Shell Connections project which involves the UK National Theatre commissioning ten professional writers to write new work for youth theatre.
- Through his British publisher, Crane met the writer Joseph Conrad, who became his close friend.
- Science fiction writers like Edgar Rice Burroughs, Ray Bradbury and H.G. Wells have written about life on and invaders from Mars.
- The Trust now holds regular readings of Wordsworth's works, using actors, and employs writers and artists in residence to breathe life into the poet's legacy.
- Members include a variety or writers and would vary from scribblers to novelists, poets, and writers of short stories and writers for children.
- Also, they all work in creative fields - artists, musicians, writers, architectural photographers, cartoonists.
- When Marcus founded Irish Writing in 1946, he courted writers of short stories and poetry, rather than novelists, to fill its pages.
- The project paid for theatre productions and kept professional actors, writers and theatre workers employed.
- Mansfield, born in turn-of-the-century New Zealand, was one of the first modern short story writers to fuse prose and poetry.
- First print runs for established literary fiction writers such as Margaret Atwood tend to average 30,000 or 40,000.
- Dryden is also one of the first writers of English literary criticism.
2British(regarding handwriting)she's a good/poor writer — tiene buena/mala letra
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.