In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Jim made another sweep of the room, opening the drawers on the writing desk.
- The first three pieces are an Alamo hall chair, a Thoreau writing desk, and a Robert E. Lee school desk.
- Therese and Katherine hurried over to the writing desk where Katherine selected gold embossed paper from a mahogany drawer.
- I decided that I want to turn my old desk into a writing desk when I move out.
- ‘In fact, I think I saw some complimentary paper in a writing desk over here,’ Paul said as he went in search.
- One of the furniture pieces that drew a lot of interest was a space-saving writing desk which had a breadth of only 15 cm, compared to the regular two feet for a conventional desk.
- Ember set a small stack of papers on her writing desk.
- Slant-front writing desks with drawers below were made to stand on their own as well as to form bases for bureau-bookcases, and can be found dating from the late 17th century.
- It contains more than forty secret compartments and can be used as a writing desk either sitting or standing, as a dressing table, and as a strong box to safe keep valuables.
- The final bedroom on this side of the house is a spacious double with built-in wardrobes and two corner alcoves, one with a wash hand basin, the other with space for a writing desk or display cabinet.
- There was a piece of paper on her writing desk, and he walked over to see what it was.
- I got up and went to my writing desk where paper and an assortment of pens and pencils were always on hand.
- Shapely cabriole legs replaced straight ones on chairs, clocks, and case pieces - armoires, bookcases, and writing desks that were designed as storage.
- Grabbing a medium-sized leather bag, she shoved the contents of her dresser inside, dug under her bed for a few pairs of shoes, and opened one of the drawers on her writing desk.
- The Honourable Sir Ralph Mountharten sharply rapped his meerschaum pipe against the surface of his mahogany writing desk.
- Against the wall was a small couch; on the opposite wall, a vanity table with a large mirror, and a writing desk with the wardrobe closet next to it.
- Noah walked around the first room, much like Katrina's it had several couches, bookcases and a writing desk.
- By tucking in an antique wicker writing desk as a side table, we increased function and character in the room.
- The fireplace sat in the corner of the small living room, which also contained a small couch, a small table and a small writing desk.
- In a drawer of the writing desk, Tamora discovered cream-coloured parchment tucked neatly into a brown leather case to keep it flat and fresh, a crystal bottle of black ink, and a crimson-feathered quill.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.