In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1his sense of wrongdoing oppressed him — lo agobiaba la conciencia de haber obrado mal
- she was punished for her wrongdoings — la castigaron por sus fechorías
- Police investigated the allegation but found no evidence of criminal wrongdoing.
- The developer was taken to court but was cleared of any wrongdoing.
- So far no charges have been brought against them, and their families and friends deny any wrongdoing.
- One cannot claim innocence of wrongdoing because it was their hand that did the act, they take responsibility.
- It is understood the police sergeant denies any wrongdoing and claims he made a legitimate complaint.
- One cannot just walk away from the scene of the crime without admitting wrongdoing.
- The bank strongly denies liability, stressing that the national prosecutor found no wrongdoing.
- They deny wrongdoing and have been bailed while police inquiries continue.
- They publicly denied any wrongdoing and were cleared by police three weeks later.
- The allegation of criminal wrongdoing is found to be false, vicious and unproved.
- In fact I have never found out why I was expelled and I have never seen any charge of wrongdoing.
- He has denied any wrongdoing and said the investment had been planned for months.
- Shortly afterwards he held a news conference in which he strenuously denied any wrongdoing.
- He has not been charged with a crime, and his lawyers deny he has committed any wrongdoing.
- He may have started out by trying to expose evil and wrongdoing but you don't produce a lie to try and get at the truth.
- First, it is concerned with fairness of trial, not punishment of a person for wrongdoing.
- The police officer suspected them of wrongdoing after observing their behavior.
- We do lots of wrong things every day, but to suppose that all such wrongdoings should be illegal is surely to grant too much to the law.
- He denied wrongdoing and claimed that the source of the funds was after-tax income.
- But the curious thing in these cases is that no actual wrongdoing has been proven or even alleged.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.