In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- At worst, it may see the world racked by explosions of racialism, xenophobia and ultra-nationalism.
- The horror film is generally about xenophobia, the fear of the unknown.
- Hitler used those games to fan xenophobia and nationalism, leading ultimately to world war.
- The first step has to be the main parties working together to present a united front against racism, xenophobia and the politics of disunity.
- Well, I guess there is a fair bit of fear, xenophobia and insecurity huddled away there somewhere too.
- National and cultural identities are mixed; xenophobia and rage mirror xenophobia and rage.
- You expect abusive behaviour, you expect xenophobia, homophobia, racism.
- Such rhetoric and policies can only be regarded by the extremist right as giving approval to their own xenophobia and racism.
- If categorization and bias come so easily, are people doomed to xenophobia and racism?
- If there are further terrorist acts then irrational xenophobia will be the only means of expression available.
- Unfortunately, countering xenophobia and racism requires leadership from the government.
- There is nothing amusing about snobbery, racism, bigotry, misogyny and xenophobia.
- Those who discriminate suffer with xenophobia: fear and hatred of strangers or people of foreign origin.
- Religious or racial prejudice and xenophobia are not likely to go away as long as human nature is what it is.
- Britain, my country of origin, appears to be infected by such selective xenophobia.
- Unlike the more politicized phobias, xenophobia and classism often go unchecked.
- In these elections it advocates an extreme rightwing programme, reeking of nationalism and xenophobia.
- How low has this country fallen in that it now embraces the fears and xenophobia of right wing shock jocks.
- Acts of racism, homophobia, xenophobia or just plain discrimination happen all the time.
- We are suggesting that nationalist xenophobia is precisely a function of that which purports to bring us all together.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.