In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(sailing boat)masculine veleromasculine yatemasculine balandrobefore noun yacht club — club náutico
- yacht race — regata
2(pleasure cruiser)yate masculine
1navegar (a vela)she went yachting with friends — se fue a navegar con unos amigos
- In 1973 the Hesketh Team boarded a luxury yacht and cruised into Monaco harbour for their first F1 race.
- About 280 Olympic class yachts in 11 classes from 70 nations are based at Sydney's Olympic Marina to participate in 14 days of racing.
- These are the sounds that surround Carina - the racing yacht on which I'll be sailing this month from Newport to Bermuda.
- You must believe me when I tell you that nothing tests waterproofing so comprehensively as a sitting on the weather rail of a racing yacht in a force seven south westerly.
- The suspended flotilla includes modern powerboats, yachts and coracles.
- These craft run the gamut from sleek international racing yachts to historic workboats.
- The naturally perfect horseshoe-shaped harbor is filled with mega cruise ships, sailing yachts, sloops, ferryboats, and fishing craft.
- On his office wall here, along with some breathtaking drawings of yacht hulls, is a black-and-white photograph of a small yacht being pounded by gigantic seas.
- Robertson's lifelong friend Rick Allen gave up a dream job as a chef on private yachts cruising the Mediterranean to help Robertson chase his dream, to make sure that his tank stays full and his engine finely tuned.
- I went to the El Gouna marina, not yet filled with white polished yachts because the international yachting brigade were still out in the Med.
- He hit the headlines in 1998 when his racing yacht capsized in the icy waters of the Southern Ocean, after he had been at sea for two months competing in a round-the-world race.
- The danger, excitement and adventure of racing yachts on the high seas awaits a North Yorkshire woman, picked to take part in one of the world's toughest yacht races.
- They will be sailing among a fleet of 200 yachts, dinghies and jet skis raising money for medical research.
- Mr Labouchere, who lives in Stratford-sub-Castle, has been at the forefront of revolutionary design for many years, building his career designing hulls for ferries and racing yachts.
- Critics of the measure say that the imposition of fees will kill the popularity of Bonaire as a prime haven for yachts cruising in the Southern Caribbean.
- Three people were rescued from the stricken yacht's life raft by sailors from HMAS Newcastle.
- Last year's Regatta grew to a record 138 high-calibre racing yachts with over 4000 competitors and spectators.
- A young woman who is a stewardess on a ferry becomes a skipper on a racing yacht.
- Three sailors from the Southampton area have been airlifted to safety after sending a dramatic text message from their racing yacht which capsized in a severe gale off the Isle of Wight.
- I asked to be transported to a sailing yacht, cruising just offshore of that beach.
- Les Pompiers were out in force, and alongside the dock a bareboat charter yacht was half sunk.
- My husband is in the process of sailing a 42 foot yacht up to Scotland from down south, so the summer will be spent on the west coast.
- This sailing yacht ferries divers, snorkellers and day-trippers to the Coral Island, 10 miles south of Eilat, in Egyptian waters.
- And as the water continues to come up, the tide moves in, we can see the water getting higher and higher on all of these boats, these luxury yachts.
- Piëch has already rewarded himself by buying a 102-foot yacht to sail around the world with his family.
- So this is the zillionaire luxury yacht lifestyle.
- Its colossal doors and cathedral-like interiors admitted great steam yachts of the period, with tall masts and rigging standing.
- Up from Kirkhaven harbour, scattered along the shore, are the remains of the steam yacht, Island.
- You can, of course, charter sail or power yachts in the Bahamas, but the real kick is arriving in your own small vessel.
- You may recall I told you about Lil who quit his job here to start a charter yacht business.
- Sailing is particularly popular around the reef and the Whitsunday Islands, and there are many live-aboard boats and charter yachts.
- The Victorian steam yacht was originally designed in the form of a Venetian gondola and was first launched in 1859 on Coniston Water.
- Robert Ehrlich proposed unloading the Maryland Independence, the 112-foot state yacht.
- The Ocean Marina, established south of Jomtien Beach some two decades ago, has primarily been a facility for berthing power boats, yachts and ocean-going catamarans.
- In under a decade, the steam yacht would be as passé as the coracle…
- On specially designated weekends and bank holidays the SY Carolla, the oldest sea-going steam yacht, visits the museum.
- A week on board the Lady Christine, a 185-foot yacht, cruising the coast of Thailand.
- The crew made a distress call after their 47 foot yacht started dragging its anchor and was in danger of going ashore onto the rocks.
- She was a beautiful old steam yacht belonging originally to the Guinness family.
- For the rich - a remote-controlled exact copy of an America's cup yacht 1 / 15th the size of a normal vessel.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.