In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1frambesia femininepián masculine
- Bush yaws is an infectious tropical disease resembling syphilis in its early stages; marked by red skin eruptions and ulcerating lesions in places such as the nose, mouth and ears.
- My favourite physician-turned-leader was, of course, Francois Duvalier, the legendary Papa Doc, a practising physician who as a country doctor tried to rid Haiti of the yaws.
- One of the most common was mercury, which had been used by the Arabs for centuries to treat leprosy and yaws.
- He worried obsessively about syphilis, which the yaws somewhat resembled; he pored over medical books underscoring lists of symptoms.
- WHO also played a major coordinating role in controlling yaws in the late 1940s and onchocerciasis, leprosy, and polio in the past three decades.
- Writing about the ‘depopulation of primitive communities’ through ‘the introduction of new diseases,’ for example, Hutton claimed that the wearing of European clothes by Nagas led to ‘lung diseases… dysentery, itch and yaws.’
- Diseases such as malaria were endemic, while blackwater fever, dengue fever, dysentery, yaws, and hookworms were a constant scourge.
- And that was the area of some of the first campaigns, the mass campaigns for penicillin, the yaws eradication.
- In addition, endemic diseases, such as yaws, and epidemic diseases, such as measles and smallpox, may have increased the incidence of stillbirths and miscarriages.
- Salversan also proved effective against other maladies such as yaws.
- If someone is suffering from yaws or trachoma, of course in your own small way you will try to help.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.