In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1.1(affirmative reply)síplease say yes — por favor di que sí
- are you ready? — yes, I am — ¿estás listo? — sí
- you didn't tell me — yes, I did! — no me lo dijiste — ¡sí que te lo dije!
- surely that's not you in the photo — oh yes, it is! — esa que está en la foto no puedes ser tú — ¡claro / por supuesto que soy yo!
- I won't apologize — oh yes, you will! — no pienso pedir disculpas — vas a tener que hacerlo
1.2(obeying order, request)síyes, sir/ma'am — sí, señor/señora
- be there by nine o'clock — yes, OK — estáte allí antes de las nueve — vale
1.3(answering call, inquiry)síFred — yes? — Fred — ¿sí? / ¿qué?
- excuse me — yes? what is it? — perdón — ¿sí? ¿qué pasa?
- (on telephone) yes? — ¿sí?
1.4(expressing interest, attentiveness)síI went to see that new play last night — oh, yes? — fui a ver esa nueva obra anoche — ¿(ah) sí?
2.1(expressing pleasure, satisfaction)síyes! what a good idea! — ¡sí! ¡qué buena idea!
2.2(emphasizing)síyou could win $5,000, yes, $5,000! — ¡puede ganar 5.000 dólares, sí, 5.000 dólares!
1(affirmative reply)sí masculine
- So, what happens though, the combination of all of those yeses, you know, over a period of time, builds your own brand, builds your life brand; it really determines who you are.
- The yeses are the different areas of struggle, the different lines of flight to possible different worlds.
- Rilla counted them up as each name was called, and found a large majority of yesses.
- I smiled thoughtfully to myself as I ticked off the amount of yeses on my fingers.
- Super-optimists suggest that, perhaps with some changes and reassurance from European leaders, the noes might be turned into yeses, like water into wine.
- We have 5 yesses, two nos, and a maybe as long as nobody goes into labour that day.
- ‘I've come up with a lot of yesses and nos,’ came the measured response.
- That'd be three yesses. [Laughs.] But I was just thinking, as I was answering that, that when I'm writing for the theater, I write more in a filmic way.
- The no votes had just nosed past the yeses by a few tenths of a percent.
- I got some quite reluctant yesses from one or two - so I had my photos done first to show them it was tasteful and not at all pornographic.
- If it doesn't bother you, send me a yes at my e-mail address.
- A chorus of yeses, head nods, and wolf calls went around the table.
- So, if you're reading this could you please post a yes or a no as to whether you are on the Organ Donor register.
- But as the vote went on, those yeses quickly dropped off.
- And by the way, there are a lot of yeses on that question.
- One coolly abstracted the city, taking what he wanted and discarding the rest, reshaping it to his liking with emphatic yesses and nos.
- Ok, I got a few yeses, and a few people just telling me to continue.
- And then I go into the unknown once I get a lot of yeses.
- The response was a bunch of yeahs, sures, OKs, and yeses.
- But all I have is one maybe and a handful of yeses conditional on coming up with the money.
2(vote)voto a favor masculine
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.