In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1vándalo masculinegamberro masculine Spainpatotero masculine Southern Cone informal
- Residents have appealed for police patrols to be stepped up to rid an estate of yobs and vandals.
- A popular skate park could be closed down because problems with yobs have reached crisis point.
- Most vandals and yobs are created by irresponsible and neglectful parents.
- The brothers were described as yobs and louts by the judge in the Damilola trial.
- Residents are being driven out of their homes by young yobs and hooligans who are making their lives a misery.
- He said tougher standards were needed to crack down on thugs and drunken yobs.
- Lives could be put at risk by yobs vandalising water hydrants so they can cool down in warm weather.
- The forum thinks night life in Kingston is only for the noisy, the rowdy and drug-taking yobs.
- Police say a clampdown on louts is working after two teenage yobs were hauled before the courts.
- Police today launched an eight-week blitz on drunken yobs around Greater Manchester.
- They urged police to crack down on racist yobs before youths took the law into their own hands.
- Traders in the area, off London Road, have been heavily targeted in the past by vandals and yobs.
- A woman who is a repeat victim of car vandals has hit out against the yobs who damage property.
- Drastic measures need to be taken such as dusk to dawn curfews on thugs and yobs roaming our neighbourhood.
- Schoolboy Will Greer watched in horror as two yobs rode off on his prized BMX bike.
- A school is having to fork out to buy security cameras after yobs broke in and embarked on a spree of vandalism.
- However there is a hardcore of yobs and vandals who don't give a monkeys about fox hunting.
- He was knocked to the ground and kicked repeatedly in the face by the yobs who threatened to kill him unless he handed over cash.
- We have let these people down - the yobs and their yob parents - and now we are paying the price.
- You have restored my faith in human nature and it proves that not all young people are yobs or thugs.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.