In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- There could be more car parking spaces, but then you've got the problem of where to find them.
- Never ask an open question on your weblog before you've tried asking Google first.
- I realise acting is a risky profession but you've got to keep believing in yourself.
- If you've always hated them, pop them out of their skins and taste the difference.
- As a matter of fact, you look as if you've been sitting out in the sun as well.
- If you want to get law that is enforceable you've got to go get to the street!
- When you reach the rushes and a good stone track, you've done the ascent, the rest is a cruise.
- The thing about a shed is you don't want it taking up the whole yard, but you've got so much stuff to cram in it.
- We know you've got the Smash Hits tour coming up, and then a new album on the way.
- Once you select a number the game is over, and your score is the number that you've been given.
- This will be lovely, though it sounds scary and messy until you've looked into it.
- As an adult, now is the time to go on that diet you've been promising yourself since January.
- When you buy something new you don't expect to then find what you've bought is second hand.
- I still think we've got a side capable of achieving more but you've got to be realistic.
- The thing about winning in life is you've got to concentrate on what is necessary to reach the top.
- He played stuff, the like of which you've never heard, and every tune blew your socks off.
- So, the day after you've been paid, what's left for having a great time down the pub?
- Your wardrobe has taken over the entire top floor of our house and you've still got nothing to wear.
- Once you've gone down that road it is mostly downhill and getting steeper by day.
- If you've a partner who refuses to ride pillion, you've the option of adding a sidecar.
- you have
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.