In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1(belonging to one person)tutussususyour son/daughter — tu hijo/hija
- your sons/daughters — sus hijos/hijas
- I mean your son — me refiero a tu hijo/su hijo de usted
- wash your hands — lávate/lávese las manos
- You want the governments of the free world to shake at the very mention of your name?
- We can buy the list that has your name and address on it to mail things out to you.
- Carefully lower your eyes to look directly at the center dot and bring it into focus.
- Do you want to see your name on the cover of a paperback in the occult section of Borders?
- How powerful do you have to be to mispronounce your own name and not have anyone tell you?
- If you do not put your name forward to be leader of the party it will be a travesty.
- Take the children to a corner and do not allow them to see your husband when they bring him back.
- I hope you will be able to take a few moments to read the following and to add your name to it.
- The only thing you ever had at eight in the morning was the tea your mum brought you.
- Gently blow on it for a second, bring the cup up to your lips, drink and then put it back down.
- It would just be your name in written form and if anyone else wrote it, it would look the same.
- All you have to do is find a user name, decide on a password and give them your email address.
- It was a bit like watching one of your best friends being slowly beaten up by the school bully.
- I brought you to my house and took you home when your mom got back from searching for you.
- So just leave your email address in your review if you want me to email you when I post.
- It would help to know your names in case we get ambushed, and I need to call you in a hurry.
- We also need your name and a phone number so we can contact you as you might be needed to be a witness.
- If you feel isolated from his friends, bring out some of your own friends to join you.
- If you and your partner have joint cards, make sure you have a card in one of your names only.
- On the inside of your right foot is the dark varicose patch which came up after the third baby.
2(belonging to more than one person)su Latin America Spainvuestro Spainvuestra Spainsus Latin America Spainvuestros Spainvuestras Spainsususpick up your things, children — recoged vuestras cosas, niños Spain
- I mean your company, gentlemen — me refiero a su compañía de ustedes, caballeros
- put your shoes on — ponte los zapatos
3(one's)if your name begins with A ... — si tu/su nombre empieza con A ...
- you have to take your shoes off in a mosque — hay que quitarse los zapatos en una mezquita
- There is nothing as beautiful as such a simple joy and it truly makes your heart ache.
- If you're a winner and your outspoken then the British thing is not to like you for that.
- To wear your heart on your sleeve now means it is easy for other people to know how you are feeling.
- You have got to take it in your stride, make sure you handle it properly and move forward.
- If need be, he or she will arrange a tracing of your heart, which can be done in the surgery.
- You could therefore make a big dent in your repayments by switching to a cheaper deal.
- If you store your wine in a cold cellar or garage, bring it inside in plenty of time.
- You are pouring your heart out and afraid of saying something that sounds a bit naff.
- Calls to Crimestoppers are not traced or taped and you do not have to give your name.
- From the earliest age, life can throw things at you that shape you for the rest of your life.
- Only when your whole body is strong can you become a better and more efficient runner.
- In any event, if you can find it in your hearts to help us out, we will be eternally grateful.
- Its rhythm, meaning and flow is fantastic and if it brings a tear to your cheek, so be it.
- Some people say if a burglar wants to break into your house, he will get in no matter what you do.
- What if it is your son or daughter who has been instrumental in bringing about the split?
- You can feel on top of the world by setting your own goal and really going for it.
- One way to make lots of people see your weird movies is to get big names in your films.
- You've got to be buying a lot of shoes for the people at the shoe store to know your name.
- When it comes to who stays and who goes, only your name and your accent are giveaways.
- Apparently letting your sister know the address of your blog is not such a good idea.
4informal(typical)ellaloslastake your average politician, for example — mira al típico político, por ejemplo
- To your average punter, dance is to the dramatic arts what free jazz is to the musical.
- Can you imagine what your average bar or pub would be like if men had a time of the month?
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.