In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1yuppy feminine informal(clientele) yuppy informal(lifestyle) de los yuppies informal
- Harlem is a relatively harmless, rather dull patch of a great city still garnering a tiny cachet among the local yuppies because it used to have quite a spunky black community.
- This hotel in Shivajinagar had for years remained outside the loop for the partying yuppy crowd.
- There were even people playing football in the yuppie village this evening.
- I was born too late to be a yuppy, too early to be generation X, or a member of the Chemical Generation.
- The yuppie crowds love the concept and organisers swear that these events are extremely popular.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.