In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- Of all the wild equines in the world today, only the plains zebras of Africa are present in large numbers.
- Aardvarks, rabbits, zebras, and other animals that rely on a more sedentary diet opt for eyes on each side of the head, maximizing their ability to spot lurking dangers.
- This family, made up of the horses, asses and zebras, contains one genus with nine species.
- In Australia, kangaroos occupy the position held on other continents by grass eaters such as antelope, deer, zebra, and bison.
- Seti thought that Vortas' hair was reminiscent of a zebra except with black-and-purple stripes instead of a zebra's black-and-white stripes.
- The Cape Colony extended systematic protection to elephants, giraffes, hippopotami, buffalo, zebras, quaggas and antelopes in 1886.
- A good idea is to board the little train which encircles the zoo enclosure and allows you to see the giraffes, hippos, zebra, camels and rhinos.
- Towards the west end of the zoo were a number of large paddocks, home to zebras, deer, horned oryx and Przewalski wild horses.
- So are zebras just horses that leaned on wet painted fences?
- The route of the safari will allow visitors to see for themselves a wide variety of African wildlife including lions, rhinos, giraffes, zebras, chimpanzees and many other species.
- You'll get up close to the wildlife, including giraffe, zebra, impala and wildebeest, and all riding abilities are catered for, including beginners.
- Horses and zebras, for example, can interbreed but no one considers them the same species.
- The preserve is home to elephants, giraffes, zebra, and various species of antelope and monkey.
- Like all equids, mountain zebras are polygynous.
- Burchell's zebras will mate with donkeys, producing a hybrid that has been called a ‘zebdonk.’
- Horses, zebras and donkeys are probably descended from an equine (horse-like) kind, since they can interbreed, although the offspring are sterile.
- Madagascar's landscape may not be a bad fit for lions, giraffes, zebras, and hippos.
- A zebra or horse without a hoof is a sitting duck for predators.
- The western part of Kenya's largest national park boasts the Mzima crystal springs, a haven for hippos, elephants, gazelles, zebras, and giraffes.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.