In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1paso (de) cebra masculinecruce de peatones masculine
- Work began at the end of May to overhaul a zebra crossing and widen footways on Pickwick Road to make it safer for school children and shoppers.
- The straight or slanting lines across the road marked with or without parallel white lines indicate a designated pedestrian crossing or zebra crossing.
- The diversion happened shortly after 6pm when a pedestrian was knocked down on a zebra crossing on Lower Addiscombe Road.
- It might also be worth bearing in mind that once someone has one foot on the zebra crossing, its illegal not to stop.
- The driver of the car had stopped for children to cross at the zebra crossing and was hit from behind, almost hitting the children crossing.
- Instead of his father stepping on to a zebra crossing hoping motorists will stop, he will be able to use a light-controlled pelican crossing which will be fully disabled compliant.
- The elderly find it dangerous to cross the road at a pelican crossing or a zebra crossing because of speeding vehicles.
- Residents believe a pelican crossing should replace a zebra crossing on that stretch of road.
- The car in front stopped at a zebra crossing and I ploughed straight into the back in my mother's yellow Escort estate.
- At that time I am going to walk across the zebra crossing at Abbey Road.
- The youngster died after she and her mother Joanne collided with a car on a zebra crossing in Southend Road, Billericay, on July 31.
- I became aware that an elderly lady was attempting to cross the road at a zebra crossing so I thought I would approach her and see if she needed any assistance.
- The area around the black and white striped zebra crossing was reasonably clear of people.
- I stopped at a zebra crossing and Michael Caine stepped out.
- Pedestrians have a tough time crossing the road with vehicles speeding over the zebra crossing at the Police Thimmaiah Circle in Bangalore.
- It is the latest in a string of near misses at the zebra crossing in London Road, Stanway.
- She counted more than 590 vehicles passing over the zebra crossing in London Road by St Margarets Mead.
- The work to convert the zebra crossing into a puffin crossing is set to start in October and has received funding from Bradford Council's Highways Department.
- After waiting there for several minutes, she walked out of the shop and was crossing the road at a zebra crossing near to Mayfield Road when he tried to grab her.
- To make the zebra crossing safer the road either side was narrowed with zigzag markings and high visibility patrol signs as well as brand new beacons and lights were also installed.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.