In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1nada de nadahow much did you get? — zilch — ¿cuánto te dieron? — ni cinco informal
- I simply wanted to point out my lack of experience, i.e. zilch and zero, of attending major rock concerts.
- But I sure don't play rugby just for the money and if I was paid zilch I would still be the first one out at training.
- As an added bonus, since I know absolutely zilch about Bob Fosse, I could not take serious issue with the choreography like the obnoxious couple sitting next to me.
- The way they help people, certainly from Scotland, is zilch in the UK.
- It can give me a broader perspective on my industry, which might come in handy, but it's going to do zilch for what's stirring in my fume hood.
- I can offer zilch in the way of information about Allawi himself.
- Arizona quietly added another 24 points to zilch for Georgia.
- My suspicion is that the national poll numbers mean zilch and that this election is going to be decided in the marginals.
- Zola, you do know I'm zilch in the fashion department?
- Since the postponed reading of the amendment, we've heard zilch from the government.
- Scottish architects have done zilch for the past 100 years.
- Mr. & Mrs. T spent zilch on media last year, per Competitive Media Reporting, after spending $123,000 in 1999.
- An empty-headed outrage that achieved the usual zilch and is now well forgotten of course, but that's not the point.
- Although AmEx has spent zilch on promotion, some would-be customers go to absurd lengths to get what they see as a must-have status symbol.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.