In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1UScremallera femininecierre masculine Latin Americazíper masculine Central America Venezuela Mexicocierre relámpago masculine River Platecierre eclair masculine Chileto do up/undo the zipper — cerrar/abrir la cremallera (/ el cierre etc. )
- Dropping the towel he tugged on a pair of baggy, black jeans with lots of zippers and safety pins on them.
- This all-gray ribbed jersey features a stylish yet subtle pattern and a practical zipper closure, both on the cardigan's front.
- He was dressed casually in faded baggy jeans and a black zipper jacket over a red t-shirt.
- For the guys there's fluffy suits in electric blue and bold red, psychedelic printed tops, wax trousers with leg-length zippers and fisherman hats.
- In his corner, Michael has a double thickness of dirty foam rubber, two sleeping bags with broken zippers.
- Is winding up in the back of a taxi at four o'clock in the morning, fumbling ineptly with unfamiliar zippers a good sign?
- I pushed at the eyeliner on my right eye and fiddled with my zippers a bit more before I walked out.
- Kendra was wearing a green zipper sweater over top of a black tank-top with faded jeans.
- He wore a trench coat, and black pants that had straps attaching the legs in the back, and an assortment of silver rings, zippers and safety pins.
- He was wearing a grey hooded sweatshirt with a zipper and blue jeans.
- The special feature of the brand is that instead of using zippers the jeans have a button fly and are sold with the tag line ‘an ounce of steel where it counts.’
- When you get it home, you can cut it into five even pieces and put each piece into a zipper seal bag and freeze it until you are ready to thaw it for use.
- You will be in a hospital gown as zippers and snap fasteners can interfere with the scan.
- These are basically regular knits and can be found in a zip-up style, a zipper collar or a hood.
- Turning around after everyone had left the girl's room, Michelle walked slowly to the counter where Faye was fumbling with the zipper of her bag.
- Whether closed with Velcro, zippers, snaps or straps, the coin purse keeps a handy supply of coins for parking meters, the laundry, public phones and stamp machines.
- Next, place a tray full of ice cubes into a zipper type freezer bag and rest it over an affected area for several minutes.
- Unlike other jean zippers, our zippers are specially polished and plated.
- Smaller, and blue, this was a shaving type bag, with a zipper.
- Heather slid out of her sleeping bag and found the zipper and un-did it.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.