In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
1zoológico masculinezoo masculine Spain
- Staff have begun moving the remaining animals out of its zoo and mothballing the fairground.
- Due to a lack of funds, some animals in the zoo are kept in small cages and some do not get enough food.
- These animals are suffering in zoos and dying in zoos because of captivity-induced conditions.
- In Colombia, biologists are busy reintroducing young condors hatched in North American zoos to parks and reserves.
- While some of the animals are kept in zoos, the Sumatran rhino is difficult to breed in captivity.
- So far, six codes have been approved - for layer hens, broiler chickens, pigs, circus animals, rodeos and zoos.
- Studying animal in zoos has advantages, but it's no substitute for fieldwork.
- Once it was only possible to see animals in zoos or in marine parks but in recent years there has been a huge growth in wildlife tourism around the world.
- We run breeding programmes in partnership with local and international zoos and swop animals to keep gene pools intact.
- His favourite day trip would be a visit to a wildlife park or to the zoo.
- The proceeds it makes from selling the phones go to supporting various conservation groups, primarily zoos.
- Hundreds of thousands of animals languish in zoos around the world.
- At one time, however, about the only way most people could see real animal predators was in zoos and circuses.
- The trend nowadays is to loan animals from other zoos for breeding purposes.
- Placement of these unwanted animals is difficult because most zoos are unwilling to take them and few sanctuary facilities exist.
- All four animals will eventually return to zoos in China, but their offspring will be returned to wildlife reserves.
- It is not the case that the only alternative to keeping animals in a zoo is euthanasia.
- Effortlessly refined, he peers at his audience as if we were animals in a zoo.
- Family trips to amusement parks, zoos, botanical gardens, and national parks will be highlighted.
- We had a neighbour who had a private zoo and his animals would sometimes escape.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.