In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- While the story, the script, and the five ornate zoomorphic initials accord well with our expectations of the elite Komnenian book culture, the images seem incongruous.
- This cap is always ornamented with designs (geometric, zoomorphic, and anthropomorphic) in variegated colors similar to those found on initiation panels.
- Examples of these zoomorphic brooches are the stag and fish.
- Other materials found during the digs were a flint knife, zoomorphic penannular brooch, decorated bone comb, bronze age pottery and arrowheads.
- All such reported items are zoomorphic; no human representations are known, with the exception of human faces on pipes.
- There are two types of sculpted zoomorphic figures: generic four-legged animals and figures of specific animals.
- While not well preserved, the elegant carving of the zoomorphic chair displays elongated proportions similar to those seen on the Megiddo ivory.
- It is built very simply of blocks and render, timber joists and so on, with things like precast concrete sewage pipes and standard plastic bubbles to make some of the earlier zoomorphic elements.
- These pipes were often carved in zoomorphic forms.
- Part of a group of vaguely zoomorphic and anthropomorphic images by Milares, which includes the ‘Homunculi’ and ‘Anthropofauna’ series, Neanderthal was one of the best works in the exhibition.
- By contrast, anthropomorphic and zoomorphic images proliferated in the secular arts.
- Set on waist-high stands, the colorful abstract objects, some with gold and silver metallic glazes, at first suggest zoomorphic shapes or architectural forms.
- The diverse themes represented in the decoration include mythical and historical figures, folk tales, zoomorphic imagery, plants, flowers, birds, and other animals.
- Similar zoomorphic masks are found in the contemporary iconography of Maya thrones, as, for example, the basal motifs in the bench of Copan Structure 18.
- There are three quite extraordinary heads - grotesque, zoomorphic human masks, 66 cm high and 138 cm wide, where animal forms are combined with human features.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.