In English, many things are named after a particular country – but have you ever wondered what those things are called in those countries?
- And having explored these beliefs and practices, she came to accept God and Zoroastrianism as her religion.
- The prophet Zoroaster introduced Zoroastrianism to Persia.
- Elsewhere, remnants of Zoroastrianism coexist with some cemeteries that have Russian Orthodox crosses on the graves.
- It saw the appearance and spread of Zoroastrianism, and some spectacular architecture at, for example, Darius' capital at Persepolis.
- The religious life of the empire was dominated by Zoroastrianism, established as the state cult in the 3rd century.
- The majority of Iranians embraced Islam and many Zoroastrians fled to India, but traces of Zoroastrianism remained.
- The spirituality in Star Wars is so universal that many world religions, from Adventism to Zoroastrianism, have found their beliefs reflected in the movie.
- It was in this period that Reid and his Church rejected Zoroastrianism for Druidry as the core image of their universalist faith.
- He draws upon linkages between the religious traditions of Hinduism, Islam, Christianity and Zoroastrianism.
- Like Irwin, he could read and speak Arabic, and he had studied Judaism, Christianity, Buddhism, Shintoism, Hinduism and Zoroastrianism, to which he made constant references in his commentaries.
- It is also worth mentioning that when Islam came to Iran, Zoroastrianism was followed only by a minority of the Iranian people.
- Buddhism, Sikhism, Zoroastrianism and to some extent Jainism came from Hinduism.
- As far as I can tell, the concept is an amalgamation of ideas from Judaism, Zoroastrianism, and other sources which I am not as familiar.
- To the latter, the opportunity to meet practitioners of Islam, Judaism and Hinduism, as well as Sikhism, Zoroastrianism and Wicca, is an adventure of discovery.
- During the Sui-Tang era, China traded extensively by land and by sea with the known world, and Islam, Judaism, Zoroastrianism, and Christianity were brought into China.
- Also, some scholars have tended to discuss the influence of Zoroastrianism and its dualistic ‘light’ and ‘dark’ concepts on second Temple Judaism and the New Testament.
- In Zoroastrianism and Roman Catholicism, only men can function as priests.
- Besides Hinduism, Taoism, Islam, Buddhism, Christianity, Judaism, Sikhism, Jainism and Zoroastrianism all flourish there.
- Aryan invaders of the second century B.C. established Zoroastrianism as the dominant religion in the area, lending the people their distinctive ethnic heritage as well as their name.
- Their religion is Zoroastrianism, the oldest of the monotheistic religions.
English has borrowed many of the following foreign expressions of parting, so you’ve probably encountered some of these ways to say goodbye in other languages.
Many words formed by the addition of the suffix –ster are now obsolete - which ones are due a resurgence?
As their breed names often attest, dogs are a truly international bunch. Let’s take a look at 12 different dog breed names and their backstories.